To be successful today, businesses must understand the questions, concerns, and problems their buyers have, and address them as thoroughly and with as much integrity as possible. Every day, consumers turn to search engines to ask billions of questions. Having the answers they are looking for can attract ideal prospects to your company―but only if your content strategy puts your answers where they can find them.
Today I have the author of one of my marketing go-to guidebooks, Marcus Sheridan on the show. And that guide, the book They Ask, You Answer details proven strategies for transforming your sales and marketing plan into a powerhouse for your company. I call it my “secret jet fuel” because it’s like throwing gas on fire – explosive!
Listen in today as we go over some detailed examples and tactics you could easily begin to employ tomorrow, bringing results and more sales. And then get the book. I’ve read it at least four times and I gain valuable insight and ideas every time.
This is a killer interview and will definitely help you Make Your Mark(eting)! ~ Pia
About Marcus Sheridan
Pool guy turned international speaker on sales, marketing, and today’s changing buyers.
Marcus Sheridan is a highly sought-after international keynote speaker known for his unique ability to excite, engage, and motivate audiences.
In 2017, Forbes named Marcus “One of 20 Speakers You Don’t Want to Miss.” He has been dubbed a “Web Marketing Guru” by the New York Times and featured in Inc., The Globe and Mail, Forbes, and many more.
As an owner of IMPACT, Marcus has established one of the most successful digital sales and marketing agencies in the country. Within his speaking company, Marcus Sheridan International, Inc., he gives more than 70 global keynotes annually where he inspires audiences in the areas of sales, marketing, leadership, and communication.
Mashable rated his book, They Ask, You Answer, the “#1 Marketing Book”, and Forbes listed it as one of “11 Marketing Books Every CMO Should Read”.
Highlights from the Conversation
- Welcome to episode 18!
- This strategy helps the sales team and the marketing team join forces and crush it.
- Marcus shares the incredible story of how he led his struggling pool company (in 2008) to become one of the largest pool installers in the United States.
- He crafted a content plan that addressed customer concerns and fears, it worked like gangbusters.
- What is going to be “evergreen” in your business? Trust, and content marketing is a trust-driver.
- By the time the buyer gets to you, they are 80% through the buying cycle.
- 33% of buyers would like to have a “seller-free” experience.
- Content when integrated into the sales process will dramatically increase closing rates.
- If buyers read 30 pages or more of your content before the sales appointment, the sale happens 80% of the time.
- If less than 30 pages? Closing rates stay around 25%!
- Assignment Selling – intentionally integrating the content into your sales process.
- The five themes of content buyers are looking for answers about. #1 is pricing! Don’t mess this one up.
- Be the “Wikipedia” of your space.
- Consumers will learn the answers from somebody, it should be from you.
- Be transparent and think like a buyer first, and a business second.
- p.s. Google loves it when you answer your customer’s questions.
- Video is like a rising tide, it is inevitable. Don’t just say it, show it.
- What Marcus is up to now and how to connect with him!
- They Ask, You Answer: A Revolutionary Approach to Inbound Sales, Content Marketing, and Today’s Digital Consumer by Marcus Sheridan
- The Visual Sale: How to Use Video to Explode Sales, Drive Marketing, and Grow Your Business in a Virtual World by Marcus Sheridan and Tyler Lessard
- Free They Ask, You Answer Course, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and say, “I want the course!”