Women are underrepresented in leadership roles. According to Harvard Business Review, only 3% of Fortune 500 CEOs are women, and just over 5% of executives in Fortune 500 companies are women. The Women Presidents’ Organization, or WPO, reports that only 3% of women-owned businesses gross over a million dollars a year, worldwide.
Historically, men are looked to lead. There are some great examples of female leadership throughout history – Joan of Arc, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Margaret Thatcher – but we hear about them because they were the exception, not the rule.
Today I’m chatting with my good friend Andrea Heuston, CEO of Artitudes Design, and we talk about why women haven’t been seen as leaders, challenges they face, and ways they can find success. We also dive into how younger women and girls can now be inspired to become leaders because, as Andrea puts it, “There are no barriers anymore, women aren’t seeing the glass ceilings.”
A great conversation full of stories, tips, and inspiration. I really enjoyed this one, and I’m sure you will too! ~Pia
About Andrea Heuston
Andrea Heuston is the Founder and CEO of Artitudes Design Inc. and has been in the tech industry for over 30 years. In 2020, she started her own podcast “The Lead Like a Woman Show” focusing on empowering women leaders to empower others through topical discussions and interviews with female leaders. She is passionate about helping to close the gender gap for women in business.
Recently published, Andrea’s book Stronger on the Other Side was written to empower women with the power to choose their own path. When she’s not busy with speaking, writing, hosting, and creative projects, you can find her walking on the beach with her family and two Australian Shepherds.
Highlights from the Conversation
- Andrea explains the impetus for her new book.
- Were you born “Other” like Andrea was?
- The story of how Andrea started Artitudes and let her chutzpah guide her!
- From pantsuits to casual wear, Andrea learned if she put herself on the same playing field, they will respect her more.
- Women in the business world and workplace are going backward due to the pandemic, why?
- However, women are starting to own their own power, they don’t even see the barriers.
- Speaking your power will help empower yourself and others.
- Rarely are men labeled as aggressive in the business world, but women are every day.
- Women can help empower other women and make businesses more profitable.
- Don’t be afraid of risk and failure.
- Gather your tribe of supporters: a CPA, a Lawyer, a Banker, a Business Coach, and a Girlfriend you can drink wine with and cry with.
- Go for funding if starting a business, don’t wait until it’s too late.
- Let go. Don’t try to do everything yourself and hire people who are smarter than you are.
- You are in complete control of your own happiness.
- How to connect with Andrea!
- Stronger on the Other Side, Andrea’s book – https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1792365330/
- Lead Like A Woman, Andrea’s podcast – http://leadlikeawoman.biz/
- Women of the Vine & Spirits – https://www.womenofthevine.com/