Neen James believes that when we pay attention to what matters most, we make more money, get more done, and develop stronger relationships. I agree. It’s a busy world out there and focused attention with your priorities in mind will help you be more efficient and more productive.
We all know this, but it is easy to get distracted, become overwhelmed, and try to “multitask” to get more done. Our unrealistic expectations often lead to frustration. After seeing Neen speak, I knew I had to bring her onto the show! She’s a real “Energizer Bunny” and her techniques and strategies for maintaining priorities can be life changing. And there’s a reason she’s been named one of the top speakers on leadership by Global Guru multiple times.
It’s not about doing everything, it’s about doing the things that matter most. This episode is chock-full of goodies, so get ready to take some notes! If you are looking to regain control of your overwhelming and over-committed life, listen to this episode and hop on the Neen Train! ~ Pia
About Neen James
Neen James is the author of Folding Time and Attention Pays. She has been named one of the Top 30 Leadership Speakers by Global Guru several years in a row because of her work with companies like Viacom, Comcast, and Virtuoso Travel among others.
Neen has boundless energy, is quick-witted and always offers powerful strategies for prioritizing focus in what matters most — all so you can pay more attention, create more significant moments and increase productivity at work and home. Whether presenting in person or virtually, Neen is the kind of speaker that engages, educates, entertains, and delivers the real-world solutions that apply in your organization, your home, and your community. She also provides one-on-one consulting in a variety of leadership topics and loves serving her audiences.
Highlights from the Conversation
- Welcome to episode 21!
- Neen shares her story of how she stumbled into professional speaking.
- People who get things done get promoted.
- It’s not just how leaders show up, but how they show up to serve their team, and how their team shows up to serve customers.
- You can’t manage time, but you can manage your attention.
- How do you decide what to pay attention to? Neen gives us three ways to approach prioritizing attention.
- One: Personal Attention – Who deserves your attention?
- Two: Professional Attention – What deserves your attention?
- Three: Global Attention – How are you paying attention in the world?
- We make between 28k and 35k decisions every day. Where do you start?
- Pick three things every day that will move you towards your goals and focus on them.
- Review at the end of the day, how did you do?
- Accountability partners can help you stay on track.
- Don’t worry about what people say you should be doing, focus on what you will do consistently.
- Try things as a “pilot” program to see if it’s something that is a good fit.
- Give yourself permission to shift and change.
- Neen’s fantastic story of how she learned to really focus attention!
- How to avoid distractions and “multitasking.” (which doesn’t work!)
- Have people and role models who inspire you and that you aspire to emulate.
- Download a copy of the book Folding Time by Neen James
- Jay Baer
- Brené Brown
- Matt Church
- Jeanne Robertson
- Michael Barber
- Jennifer Jacobs