If you’re reading this post, chances are, you have a business or you’re in the midst of creating one. And what like many business owners, you may have overlooked one very important aspect of building your brand: typography.
When it comes to typography, brand recognition happens when you use fonts consistently across media. But the fonts you choose can affect how customers interpret (and connect with) your brand.
Are your fonts sending the right message about your business? Here are a few tips to help you better show off your brand personality with typography.
What is Brand Personality?
Think about a few of your favorite brands, big or small. Picture their logos, their websites and their social media profiles. Now think about how each one makes you feel.
The emotional connection between you and the brands you love is the foundation of their brand personalities. And it’s likely you see a bit of yourself in these brands, too.
Why? According to Investopedia, it’s because human characteristics are attributed to brand names. Customers want to relate on a personal level to the businesses they buy from. Which is why your brand is seen as more valuable to buyers who can easily connect with it.
Which Typeface Aligns with Your Brand?
“Typography is like fashion, or furniture. With rare functional exceptions, the world doesn’t need new clothing or furniture designs, but people want to look different or evoke a particular feeling or fit with a particular look, and there are trends and styles.” ~ Thomas Phinney
Just like your brand, typefaces have personalities. That’s why choosing the right typefaces for your brand is so critical. It should convey your brand message while mirroring your target audience. After all, you don’t want there to be a disconnect, like pairing a flowery font with a spunky brand.
When looking at your own brand, ask yourself what you want it to be known for and how you want it to be perceived. If you’re stumped, for now just focus on the kind of mood you want to create with font pairings.
An easy way to recognize a brand is by its font. So it’s now wonder font choice is so critical. Not only does it showcase your brand’s personality, but it makes your brand more identifiable as well.
Here are some common font styles to help you jumpstart your font search:
- Serif: Characterized by having “feet,” these classic fonts convey respectability and authority, making them a solid choice for high-end or more traditional brands.
- Slab Serif: Thick and block-like, these fonts exude boldness, confidence and strength, making them great for headlines (but no so for body text).
- Sans Serif: Known for their lack of serifs, these fonts are clean and simple, making them the optimal choice for more modern or innovative brands.
- Script: Fluid and flowy, these cursive fonts feel formal, elegant and decorative, making them perfect for wedding businesses and other upscale brands.
- Handwritten: A casual alternative to the classic cursive style, these fonts embody friendliness and femininity, making them ideal for heart-centered and creative brands.
Where Should You Use Your Brand-Worthy Fonts?
Everywhere! There’s an endless array of places you can use typography to flaunt your brand’s personality. Here’s a handful to get your started:
- Shareable and engaging content like Pins, inspiring image quotes and infographics
- Marketing materials like websites, blog posts, newsletters and banners
- Business materials like invoices, packing slips and thank you cards
Over to You
We’d love to know: which fonts are best for showing off your brand’s personality? Share your discovery with us in the comments below!