Do you have a Signature Talk that helps to position you as an expert and thought leader in your field? Today I’m chatting with Carol Cox of Speaking Your Brand® all about the key elements of a good speech and presentation. She runs us through how you can find the golden nuggets that can lead to a big idea and a wonderful Signature Talk.
I know with Covid and all we haven’t been meeting in person as much, but Carol reminds of us of the multiple places you can utilize your presentation to engage more listeners, followers, and customers. With her extensive background in entrepreneurship, marketing, politics, higher education, history, and literature, Carol has developed a unique and proven process and framework.
With this framework, and her coaching, you can turn your presentations into so much more than a slide deck, making it a reflection of what you do, who you help, and why it matters. This also provides clarity for your listeners and gives you energy and confidence in your message. Even you introverts out there! This is another great conversation.~ Pia
About Carol Cox
Carol Cox is the founder of Speaking Your Brand®, a coaching and training company that helps high-performing, purpose-driven women entrepreneurs and professionals create their signature talks and thought leadership platforms. Carol is host of the weekly 5-star rated Speaking Your Brand® podcast and during election seasons serves as a Democratic political analyst on TV news.
Carol was named as one of Orlando’s Women of the Year in 2021 and has been featured in Forbes. Through her company and content, her mission is to empower more women to find and use their voice, to tell the stories that need to be told, and to activate ideas for change.
Highlights from the Conversation
- Welcome to episode 27!
- Carol’s origin story and how she came to create her Signature Talk framework and business.
- How you can use your Signature Talk in ways other than speaking live. So many!
- How to start formulating your “Big Idea” and craft your own presentation.
- It doesn’t have to be a “Big World” idea, just focus on what you know and dig little deeper.
- A little vulnerability and embarrassment will help you connect with your audience.
- People remember the beginning and end of your talk, try to make these things fun and energetic.
- A mistake many make is to end on a low note.
- Set aside time for Q&A if needed, but many will seek you out with questions later.
- Your slides, if using them, are for the benefit of the audience.
- How to pitch during your presentation in a non-salesy way.
- Some great tips to keep from turning the audience off.
- A few pieces of advice for shy and introverted people.
- Speaking and presentation skills will boost your confidence both professionally and personally.
- What it means to be a Thought Leader.
- How to connect with Carol and pick up your free guide!
- Listeners can download a free workbook on steps to positioning yourself as a thought leader: https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/pia/
- More info about Carol’s Thought Leader Academy: https://www.speakingyourbrand.com/academy/